Die cutting is a process in which a prefabricated metal or wood die is used to cut or stamp shapes from a sheet or a roll of material such as cloth, paper, paperboard, plastic, pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes, and foam. The die cutting process is performed using a custom-designed die in the desired shape. The material is held against a supportive substrate and the die is pressed or stamped into the material, quickly and efficiently cutting the material into the shape of the die.
Our die cutting services allow us to produce consistent, uniform, and repeatable shapes quickly and efficiently. Our specialized die cutting equipment is engineered to use the maximum amount of material surface for high production levels with low material waste. Depending on the material and application, a variety of die cutting methods have been developed for partial cuts, layered materials, and other production requirements. At Sun Process, we offer a wide range of die cutting services, which include:
- Rotary die cutting. Rotary die cutters use cylindrical rolling dies mounted on a gear mechanism. The gears turn to press the die against product material, thereby punching out the desired shape as the die rolls across the material surface. This process is highly efficient and precise, which makes it ideal for large scale production.
- Steel rule die cutting. Steel rule die cutting—also known as flatbed die cutting—uses a steel rule die mounted in a die board to push down against the substrate material. Once the shape has been created, a rubber or foam ejector built into the die board is used to eject the cut shape from the die board. This type of die cutting is not as quick as rotary die cutting, but it is the most common method used for thicker materials.
- Punch press. A punch press uses a die set to cut or press holes into a material. A die set for a punch press contains male and female dies on either side of the workpiece that combine to punch a hole when mated.
- Thermal die cutting techniques. Thermal die cutting offers a precise and efficient die cutting method, but is only compatible with materials that can be thermally displaced, such as vinyl and some plastics. Heat from electrical arcs or lasers precisely cut materials into the desired shape.
Sun Process is pleased to offer a variety of value-added services to supplement our die cutting operations, enabling us to provide a complete product on most orders without the need for additional processing or treatment by other vendors. Our comprehensive range of value-added services includes:
- Film laminating
- Cleanroom die cutting
At Sun Process, we understand that each project has different needs, and we offer a variety of unique enhancements, including:
- Kiss cut
- Various liners
- Printed liners for instructions
Our die cut services are easily customized to meet the specific requirements of your project.
Die cutting is a highly versatile process that can be used to produce products from a broad range of materials, including:
Sun Process specializes in the production of adhesive-backed materials, which require highly accurate depth calibration and specialized equipment to ensure that the adhesives are cut through without sticking to the cutting equipment or cutting through the liner. Through skillful manipulation of die bed elevation, cutting pressure, and blade length, our expert technicians can cut through multiple layers of adhesive material with the utmost efficiency and precision.
At Sun Process Converting, we pride ourselves on our ability to produce exceptional quality coated and converted materials. We offer a broad range of stock materials or can custom coat or convert customer supplied materials, as needed. In addition to our precision die cutting services, we are pleased to offer coating and laminating, slitting, sheeting, flat cutting, and hot stamping services for nearly any industry. To learn more about our die cutting processes and how they can benefit your next project, contact us today to request a quote.
- Steel Rule
- Flat Bed
- Punch Press
- Minimum Material Thickness: 1 mil (.001″)
- Maximum Material Thickness: 80 mil (.080″)
- Minimum Part Size: .25″ x .25″
- Maximum Part Size: 27″ x 45″
- Cleanroom Die Cutting
- Film Laminating
- Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF)
- Oriented Strand Board (OSB)
- Pressure Sensitive Materials
- Home Furnishing
AS – Aerospace Industry Standard
ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
ASTM – American Society for Testing and Materials
CSA – Canadian Standards Association
DOT – Department of Transportation
FAA – Federal Aviation Administration
FDA – Food And Drug Administration
ISO 9001:2015 – International Organization for Standardization
Mil-Spec Military Specifications
NADCAP – National Aerospace And Defense Contractors Accreditation Program
QS – QS Is a quality standard developed by the Automotive Industries
RoHS – Restriction Of Hazardous Substances (Compliant)
SAE -Society of Automotive Engineers
TS – Technical Specifications, used with ISO